All Things Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'WOLFTech Lounge' started by Cafdog, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Cafdog

Cafdog Member

Any other Miners/Enthusiats out there?

If you'ev got questions about the myssterious thing that is BITCOIN, feel free to ask away. I curently host for multiple people, have designed and deployed various technologies from the very beginning, "back in the day" when a BTC = 30$ USD, all the way till it was over 1200$/BTC...

Always piddling and addding some more heatsinks, trying to up my Hashrate.. And squeeze just a bit more juice before the PSU gives out.

Post if your interested in the technology, already own some, or want to learn more and get involved..

There may even be some free handouts of CryptoCurrencies to those who are interested...;)
    bitcoin.JPG

EDIT: Glossary of CryptoCurrency Common terms
    http://blog.cex.io/glossary/

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  2. Jazz

Jazz Moderator Staff Member

I just would like to learn more about bitcoin. Not sure if I have any interest in mining or acquiring it, but I'm always up for learning.

Cafdog likes this.
  3. Cafdog

Cafdog Member

I reccomend this to anyone who is interested in learning about the current and future state of CryptoCurrency.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-report-q1-2014/

I'm glad to answer any questions you have!

4. GiJoe

GiJoe WGN Founder Staff Member

Home Page:
    It's more GPU intensive then CPU. Ya I thought that was strange too. So that rig Cafdog has posted is mostly GFX cards I believe.

5. Cafdog

Cafdog Member

Joe is 'technically' correct - In the beginning (in a galaxy far, far away....) BTC was mined mostly with graphics cards as a sort of one-off nerdy hobby. As more and more people joined in, the difficult rose, such is the way the blockchain adjusts itself to correct for mining being too easy or too hard.

The jist, the more people that mine/add hardware to the network, the hard the algorithm becomes. Its a forced deflation. What I am currently running are ASIC r2 Blades.. they each push 10.7GH/s...that pales in comparison to some of the third generation equipment out now...

There is a movement I am shifting my investment to, which is 'cloud-hashing' basically there are datacenters full of these BTC-mining specific equipment that you can 'rent', so your power bill isnt sky high ( like mine )

As the Blockchain got harder and harder, new currencies cropped up like LiteCoin and DogeCoin...that can be mined today still with just your processor, and some with your good graphics cards. These are grouped into "Altcoin" categories. Liteocin currently sits at about 1LTC-12USD...so its the "Silver" if bitcoin is the "Gold"

6. Cafdog

Cafdog Member

heatsink asic.JPG asic backplane.JPG The closeup on the left, are the actual chips that i've added aftermarket heatsinks to to help with heat dissipation. The less hot they are, the more efficient each chip is. the second shows a 10-blade rig, with a 1000W PSU all on one backplane. This is my current equipment type, with two full racks of 10 online now.

7. Cafdog

Cafdog Member

A few sites to learn about, if your interested.
    Bitcoin-www.bitminter.com, www.coindesk.com (posted higher in thread)
    Litecoin - www.mine-litecoin.com
    The blockchain - www.blockchain.info
    Cloudhashing - www.cex.io

(All links are safe)

And of course, theres me! While I may not be right all the time, I'm sure good at guessing. :D
    monitoring.jpg

GiJoe likes this.
  8. Jazz

Jazz Moderator Staff Member

Ah stop with the heat sinks (cooling fins)! The calculations for the heat dissipated by those won't get out of my head!

Cafdog likes this.
  9. Cafdog

Cafdog Member

Son of a...All MIT students getting 100$ Free BTC this fall. Suddenly I wish I had studied more..

[​IMG]
    Everything Bitcoin
    @talkee_bitcoin
    Latest and hottest Bitcoin news from world’s best online editions. Delivered via Talk.ee.
    http://talk.ee

10. lauri88{=TWC=}

lauri88{=TWC=} Member

I started my crypto adventures back in 2009 when I tried to mine BTC. Too bad I didn't actually get my computer to mine and then forgot the whole thing. Late last year a friend of mine talked me into mining Gridcoins. I bought 3x R9 280x GPUs and some other hardware. My investment paid itself back in about three months. And atm I still mine gridcoins.

What are gridcoins? It's a consept which doesnt waste all the energy as heat, but instead directs some of the computing to BOINC projects. In short, CPU does work for BOINC, and GPU mines the blockchain. Amount of coins per block is a variable from 5 to 150, depending on your amount of work done to boinc. Read moar @ gridcoin.us and https://cryptocointalk.com/forum/464-gridcoin-grc/

My setup has a combined hashrate of about 2.2MH/s, and uses 1.05kW/h. Atm I'm only running one pc with two GPUs(1.5MH/s @ 600W), I can't handle the heat of two computers. And also the second computer has bad efficiency at 730kH/s @ 450W when compared to the other.

Cafdog likes this.
  11. Cafdog

Cafdog Member

Coooool... Am going to read up on that aftetr work. Kind of reminds me of the SETI project back in the day, except this actually pays you
    XD

12. lauri88{=TWC=}

lauri88{=TWC=} Member

Well it's pretty much exactly like SETI. And you can even run SETI and get coins for it! :D

Hmm, for some reason my computer had restarted last night by itself... Wonder why.

Cafdog likes this.
  13. Cafdog

Cafdog Member

What OS are you running? I've actually been blown away, by my current proxy server's resilience. Its an XP pro SP 3 LAPTOP, running 24/7 in about 100 degrees. Has been up for over a month, with no downtime from the mining pool. Im not sure how its managed to survive Im almost blown away that none of the miners themsleves have melted through the damn backplane and through the floor, set the house on fire etc.

14. GiJoe

GiJoe WGN Founder Staff Member

Home Page:
    Ya that XP laptop is gonna be EOL in less then a month. :p No more Windows Updates...

15. Cafdog

Cafdog Member

I know, i Know!!! good thing is its on a closed network (as much as I could anyway). all it does is serve as the controller fro all 20 blades, then communicate on the Stratum and Getwork Protocols (3333 and 8332) everything else is locked down. im sure there are other exploits, but with the wierd IP range I gave it hopefully its hidden for a while.I hope to retire the unit before too long. Neal isnt going to enjoy paying that power bill much longer... 150gh/s is costing him 170 a month1More than those bitcoins are making him!

16. lauri88{=TWC=}

lauri88{=TWC=} Member

I'm running my set on w7. I use the same computer for all my stuff.

17. Cafdog

Cafdog Member

What kind of hardware / or are you in cloud? Have any preferences?