Best EU country to order PC parts from?

Discussion in 'WOLFTech Lounge' started by Pete and Pete, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Pete and Pete

Pete and Pete Administrator Staff Member

Finnish prices are absurd. Did my last order from Sweden and that went well but I know the prices could have been better still.

Any of you Euros have a recommendation for me? Good price, service, selection? Mostly in need of a new video card and hard drives at the moment.

2. [WOLF]godsgift

[WOLF]godsgift Administrator Staff Member

I tend to use alternate.nl they have a Danish franchise so just use dk instead of nl ..... don't know how the prices hold up to other sites but they have great customer service.

3. Pete and Pete

Thanks. Checking it out now. Probably going to end up waiting for a whole new machine build but still need to see my options. Lots of problems lately with parts finally crapping out partially or completely.

4. GooGeL

GooGeL Forum Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Why not Amazon.de? Or co.uk but the pound is ergh high, for us at least. Prices can be worth comparing between the two.
    Not all but many shops ship over here (Amazon themself do it)... beyond the border where insanity takes over. Yeah, I too laugh everytime I enter the mine... behind a fence(!).

Germany is our cheapskate dealer in the union.

5. Pete and Pete

I'll check Amazon. Last time I looked for something the shipping was insane and I ended up using eBay. I have had Amazon orders sent here from Texas cheaper than I can get them from the UK.

6. [WOLF]godsgift

Just ordered a new rig , spec's will follow when it is finnaly delivered.

7. Pete and Pete

Grrr... You dog!

8. [WOLF]godsgift

When the wife suddenly tells me that i should order one because my old rig needs to go to my oldest steph son i didn't argue.

GiJoe and Pete and Pete like this.
  9. GooGeL

Home Page:
    Well, I'm still with my GTX 680 since close to 3 years now. Upgraded my processor and all that during this summer.
    I got a watercooled i7 4790k, Asus Z97 Pro with only 16GB of ram. The 4690k is alright if you only play games.

10. [WOLF]godsgift

I didn't go top of the line so went for an i5 instead , gpu is a R9 280x from xfx ..... 8 gig of ram will suit me fine, got a SSD drive together with a regular drive.

11. Pete and Pete

I've only had 16 gigs of ram for a few years. It's the other stuff I need to bump up. More ram would also be fine.

12. GooGeL

Home Page:
    Great. The SSD is lovely for speeding up your daily doings.

Hah, I typed only due to that I used to have 18GB that I shot through time and time again when Chrome had >130 tabs open (i.e. YT chews a lot). When yer heavily into researching stuff, it can get wacky.
    But 16G is alright and is good enough for most people.

13. Pete and Pete

I actually could use more but I get by pretty well and I can work around it when it gets sketchy. 16 gigs get chewed up pretty fast with 42 virtual instruments running.

My biggest problems right now are my hard drive which I can tell is trying to kick over on me, my video card which is outdated and was supposed to be temporary two years ago, and I could definitely use an i5 or i7 but I'm making due with an i3 at the moment.

Other problems that are making things difficult but not impossible: My headphones are going out, my speakers are going out, my midi keyboard completely died, I need a new and better webcam (yes, that's important when your family is a bazillion miles away), and my mouse scrolls whichever direction it feels like... or not at all.

14. GooGeL

Home Page:
    Merry bloody christmas.

For your sake at least, I hope Santa is coming over for a visit.

15. Pete and Pete

Yeah. It seems to have all hit within 2 months, as did car problems that are running another 600€. Having an awesome time...

16. Dago Red

Dago Red Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I got hit with a rogue wave on a beach in Mexico from hurricane Andrew -- twisted knee therapy; bit down on a bad pistachio -- broken tooth dentist time; choked on cheap rubbery Chinese take out -- big prescription drug habit to heal esophagus; then ate some bad canned fava beans that did some evil to my colon and ended up with a GI doctor bill. Now I can't eat gluten or high-fructose corn syrup -- both of which are in everything this country produces. EVERYTHING. Unless you go to places where they make food like they did 200 years ago, and still you have to skip any wheat product from the USA. Not convinced laying off the gluten is totally working, but generally getting better following doctor's instructions.

I wish I had ram and car problems instead.

In fact, there's a new-ish ultra book I'm considering smashing against the table so i'll have some. You see, it can barely function as the work machine I bought it as since work requires I use this resource-hogging, inept browser that can't display legible fonts, piece of shit called Chrome, which uses something like 10 times the amount of memory that the same tabs in firefox uses. That's all I really wanted to say.

17. Pete and Pete

Oh, it's a health debate now, is it? Let's do this! You'll be sorry, my friend!

18. Dago Red

Home Page:
    No, no. It's a Chrome SUCKS discussion!

19. Pete and Pete

OIC. I've reluctantly made a full switch to Chrome after Firefox began to let me down nonstop. Meh. It's ok.

I'll give you all me test results in a couple weeks, anyway!

20. Dago Red

Home Page:
    Try this, open up a few tabs 5-10, of sites you normally visit/work with, in firefox and check your task manager for the resources used.

Then open the same in chrome and ctlr+alt+del again to see what that says in comparison.

Let me know after you see the light (unless it's perma darkness season there?)