Google Fiber

Discussion in 'WOLFTech Lounge' started by GiJoe, Sep 13, 2016.

1. GiJoe

GiJoe WGN Founder Staff Member

Home Page:
    I was able to signup for it today... $70\ 1Gbps!!!

They've buried the fiber in front of the house. Next is to get it to the house... No ETA on that but am hoping before the end of the year...

2. Pete and Pete

Pete and Pete Administrator Staff Member

My Finnish DSL is just as good. No, really. I mean it...

3. Dago Red

Dago Red Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    50/50 Pete's internet went out, or the Russians invaded Finland again.

One downside about Google Fiber may be the signing away of your privacy forever. I know Time warner cable is logging every site I visit and recording other data too, but I've worked for Google recently (on freelance travel project) and I've seen the inside of their content generation systems which are tied into a scary amount of information about everything. If a copywriter has access to such powerful tools and mountains of data, I can only imagine what the operators at Fiber have on every single thing you're doing inside your own house.

I just upgraded my phone for the first time in 5 years, and went through a new round of terms of agreements with Android/Google Play -- I own nothing and have no rights. They can shut any service off whenever they please, and I cannot do anything about it. It would be interesting to see how useful an android phone is these days without access to an updated OS or the Play market.

4. GiJoe

GiJoe WGN Founder Staff Member

Home Page:
  5. GooGeL

GooGeL Forum Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Think you'll be fine. It's no iPhone which Apple can brick when it pleases them.

6. Pete and Pete

Dago, my net went down literally within minutes of making that post and stayed down for hours. Second time this week, but the first time, all cell service went at the same time. I can always tell when the weather is changing because everything breaks. They really gotta get their shit together over here.

7. Dago Red

Home Page:
    I'd like to just laugh and laugh at you for hours, but, knowing how much it sucks to lose internet here in the 3rd world hell hole I live in, I feel your pain brother. At least I don't lose cell at the same time. Internet has gotten a big upgrade in brooklyn within the past year too. Average speeds went from total crap, to about 5mbps, now to over 40 (except on those days when it breaks).

8. Pete and Pete

Unfortunately, I depend on it for everything from spending money to making money and of course 90% of my communications with people stateside. That was the first time we've lost both at the same time, but we lose each one individually on a pretty steady basis. In 6 years here, I have had good, steady, fast internet for a little over a year in the 2013-2014 range. That was this same city. I'm on the other side of town now and had to take what's available. By the way, this is the "high speed internet" that is one of my basic human rights in this country... This shit hasn't been "high speed" since 2000.

9. GooGeL

Home Page:
    :> soon my grandma who lives out in the bush will have a fiber connection. Speeds up to 1000/100MBit is available, and it'll cost only 64 bucks!

10. Dago Red

Home Page:
    Doesn't Pete live with her? Maybe she'll share.

64 bucks in what currency? That's expensive as hell... I pay 29.99 a month for 50 MBPS, and let's face it, you don't need more than that unless you're running 15 hi-def TVs and trying to game at the same time (however, I have no cable or TVs, just internet).

11. GooGeL

Home Page:
    bucks = 'murican dollar. I believe 100/10, 100/100 or 250/100 will cost around $32-45.

At some point you'll catch up.

12. Dago Red

Home Page:
    Too expensive. I can't possibly use more than 50mbps so why would I want to pay more. Capitalist pig

13. Pete and Pete

I pay 24€ for old school DSL. Be glad for you got.