Microsoft: Windows 10 upgrades will cost $119 starting July 30th

Discussion in 'WOLFTech Lounge' started by GiJoe, May 5, 2016.

1. GiJoe

GiJoe WGN Founder Staff Member

Home Page:
  2. Dago Red

Dago Red Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    There is no way in hell I would upgrade to that after the way all this has played out, the nagware and hassle all aside (which is enough to dislike it), the lack of user control and all the automatically downloaded shit is against what I believe in as a consumer. Forced downloads and updates? That's worth a permaban.

Add to that the problems many of those automatic updates had, and hell no. I have win 10 on one machine because I bought that slick new bezel-less xps laptop. For that, it's OK, and I see the convenience of going with the grain for a work computer. But I'm not turning over all my privacy, and my gaming which is based largely on a fragile web of mod directories, to microsoft on my main rig.

3. GiJoe

Home Page:
    Microsoft is removing its nagging Windows 10 upgrade notifications soon
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/6/11606392/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-notification-going-away

I use it on my main rig at home too... No issues. :p

I use a lot of mods for Kerbal Space Program and World of Warships and never had an issue. :) You can schedule the Windows updates. Which really should be run. I also use a VPN to anonymize myself most of the time (when I remember to turn it on)...

To each there own for sure. :) Above is just my perspective. :D

4. Dago Red

Dago Red Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Truly! You're avoiding pain too by just going along with it all these months -- probably by not experiencing the crashing when the nagware engages, because you already have W10. I had my final straw with it last week after it crashed me out of a game 2x in one night, the second ended in a bluescreen (also had my first bluescreen the week the stealth windows 10 spyware was added to windows updated without permission). It's disabled now through some settings manipulation, but I stopped short of the editing the registry method that's going around. Glad to know it's going away permanently soon because I didn't want to do that.

5. GiJoe

Home Page:
    Really crashes? I've not had any that I can recall... Update ALL of your drivers and firmware?