Mystery Icon

Discussion in 'WOLFTech Lounge' started by Pete and Pete, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Pete and Pete

Pete and Pete Administrator Staff Member

Apparently, whatever is causing this icon (image attached) to pop up in my taskbar is also causing full screen games to tab out to the desktop.

It's obviously something to do with imaging or printing. Flashes on REAL quick and gone right away. I was able to catch it with Camtasia and get a screenshot of it. Happens several times per hour.

I'm on Windows 7 with an Epson printer and a Logitech webcam connected, but no known icons I can find on the computer match anything I see specifically centered around those programs.

If I just need to disconnect those before I play anything, fine, I will, but I'd rather not have to remember that every time. Mostly I want to know why this is popping up and what's it trying to accomplish other than get me killed in game.

Anybody?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. [WOLF]godsgift

[WOLF]godsgift Administrator Staff Member

Did you install any software when you installed the printer or webcam?

3. Pete and Pete

Yeah, and a couple of weeks apart with the webcam first. I honestly can't recall if it started after one or the other, or if it was before both that this started. If I had to narrow it down at all, I would guess it was after the cam and before the printer but I can't be positive.

4. Dago Red

Dago Red Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I'd look at a key combination you're executing that triggers your crappy bloatware problem there.

I have some doozies that trigger some hidden utility which thinks I want to start typing in some disused Chinese alphabet from the Han dynasty. It then finds the text fields in games and will only write insanity in them. In the case of FH2, it can't quite find the text field so it makes the upper corner of the screen flash everytime I touch a key, lags the game, and prevents me from typing anything but a question mark in the in game chat. IT"S AN AWESOME AND USEFUL UTILITY that I'm really hoping is gone now with windows 7.

5. [WOLF]godsgift

[WOLF]godsgift Administrator Staff Member

It is more than likely that the two devices will work without the software since you are working with W7 so i would remove the software, if needed you can install each one seperately to see wich one causes the problem and while installing take a close look what you are installing (try custom install).

6. Pete and Pete

I installed only parts I need, which is what sucks. Most likely it is something I use regularly that is causing the problem.

I'll figure it out soon enough. Was just hoping someone might have experience with it already. This isn't the busiest place to look for answers anymore, but I don't have the patience to register and ask elsewhere! :)

7. Dago Red

Home Page:
    See above, I'm right, it's your keystrokes you clown

8. Pete and Pete

I honestly didn't see your post! I guess I just saw the avatar and assumed it was me again.

Anyways, I guess you're talking about the hotkey utility or some crap. I have had some issues with that, but not as bad as you seem to. Few and far between, and should be a complete thing of the past in the next few days after I have destroyed it.

As for my real problem, I tried some simpler fixes that didn't work, so next it's about uninstalling software and trying one piece at a time until I know what's doing it.

9. Pete and Pete

Guess it wasn't the webcam software. Next I'll try with the cam completely disconnected. Then printer software, then disconnect the printer, etc. If none of that does it, I don't know what else to check.

10. GiJoe

GiJoe WGN Founder Staff Member

Home Page:
    Can you right mouse click on it and get to properties?

11. Pete and Pete

If you mean the icon, no I can't. It literally flashes on and off so fast that I could never even tell what it was until I recorded that section of the screen so I could play it back and freeze that frame.

12. Pete and Pete

I have uninstalled everything to do with the printer, any cameras, etc, and unplugged all hardware. Still happening. Now I'm finally really irritated. Guess I have to do some real research.

13. Dago Red

Home Page:
    If it's some kind of key combo/hotkey to trigger your web cam or whatever, it might not help to uninstall those other things.

No matter what I did, there was no way to stop that foreign language input doohicky from starting up. Hasn't happened recently, but I wipe my entire computer and then installed windows 7 enterprise in place of vista. Although I think it had more to do with the laptop than windows, obviously all of the Asus stuff and other "helpful" utilities were wiped with the rest of my hard drive.

14. Pete and Pete

Worse now. Used to be when it tabbed out of BF2 or FH2, I could tab right back in. Now, it's a black screen and some looping sounds, and I have to use the task manager to end it. Metro 2033 still allows me to tab back in just fine. Not sure yet with Medal of Honor. Need to find out so I can decide if BF2 needs to just be scrapped.

15. Pete and Pete

One more idea to figure this out. Hope I learn something.

16. Pete and Pete

I give up.

17. Dago Red

Home Page:
    Do you have CCleaner?
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I recently discovered this, advised to use by a hardcore computer geek who fixes rigs for a living. I doubt you could use it to solve your problem, but, I have never investigated it's more complicated utilities. Only used it for wiping out unwanted data and cached crap. So worst case, you have a free utility you can use to clean your system. It doesn't run in the back ground or anything annoying, just a good simple tool... like the spaten.

NO application or running process should pull you out of another application like that unless you tell it to do so (ie. hitting a certain key combo). So there must also be a way to uninstall it or configure it not to do so. Otherwise, this is some kind of malware taking photos of you and sending them to Sweden or something.

Who makes that computer? Call those SOBS. Go apeshit on them, wtf is this piece of shit process!?

18. Pete and Pete

I do have CCleaner, and all the other Piriform tools, which I actually updated and ran about an hour before logging in here.

As for key combos, it's not that. This thing pops up during video playback and even when I'm not in the chair but just looking from a distance. Just saw it now, actually...

Tried a few more things earlier today with no luck. I may do a system restore and see what happens. Not a huge deal to reinstall everything one at a time and see if/when it starts to do that again, but I have seriously wiped out everything I thought it could possibly be and still no help from working the Google on the internet machine.

19. Dago Red

Home Page:
    You have to find out what it is, just to tell the world what a piece of shit that, whatever it is, is.
    That makes zero sense for anything to behave that way, obviously. So it must be some garbage software, or some kind of malware. Either way, whoever made it must be taken down.

20. WGNTHS

WGNTHS I'm Here A LOT! Staff Member

Reboot Windows into safe mode to see if it is still there. If so reboot back into normal mode and run the following from SysInternals: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals

Autoruns - This will give you a better idea of what is setup to show when your computer starts. Also make sure you do not have anything in the Startup folder from the Start menu.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

ProcessExplorer - This will allow you to see the processes running on your system.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Also make sure you have run a VirusScan and everything is up to date, checked that there are no unauthroized programs in the allowed list, view your TCP/IP and UDP traffic for unknown outbound traffic.